All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have many brand-new strategies and clinical advancements emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to reduce or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast way to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by expensive advertisements about a specific laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Select a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not understand can hurt you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your medical professional won't inform you, find another one.
5. Ask what procedures are required to avoid infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make look these up sure that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount parachute. The potential savings are unworthy the threat of getting less than skilled care!
Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each client. Be careful of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely use better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't forget the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless people all over the world.