All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have so numerous scientific advancements and new strategies emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of individuals the opportunity to lower or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast way to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by elegant ads about a particular laser. Choose the physician, not the laser.
3. Pick a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not understand can hurt you.
4. Request info on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your doctor won't tell you, find another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Firmly insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute. The possible cost savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than professional care!
Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each client. Beware of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a automobile; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about read more them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the advantages: for most individuals, a life time of bad vision can Learn More be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the vision of millions of people around the world.